If you’re looking for the simplest way to clean your teeth naturally, chewing on these foods can do just that.
Some of them are very surprising but serve a great purpose in balancing what your mouth needs for healthy oral care while providing the rest of your body with the nutrition it needs.
10 Foods That Actually Clean Your Teeth and Gums While you EAT
Some of these food choices go against every dental mindset you may have. Some common misconceptions you might have:
- Fruit contains sugar, therefore, fruit causes cavities
- Strong smelling foods cause bad breath, how could they clean our mouths?
- Dental products are made to counteract the oral effects of food.
These common misconceptions are what make THESE select foods so surprising to hear they actually support the mouth in ways only science can explain.
How do these foods provide exceptional oral care?
Now the science behind choosing these foods as the top 10 choices for cleaning gums and teeth.
- “Acid decalcifies or demineralizes tooth enamel by taking away its structure, creating decay” – Dr. Burhenne
- If acidic foods are a problem, you might consider reading our facts about pH and your health which includes a list of acid-forming foods and alkaline foods.
- Fruits and vegetables with high water content help wash away plaque buildup on teeth.
- Fermented foods help maintain the natural bacterial balance in your mouth by containing good probiotics.
- Allicin contained in garlic help fight the bad bacteria from causing tooth decay and gum disease.
- Natural foods that possess antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and antiviral keep the dentist away.
These foods offer amazing benefits to mouth diseases such as gingivitis, periodontitis, ulcers, and bad breath while having natural tooth whitening capabilities. You will still need to brush regularly throughout the day to dislodge any food particles that will have reverse effects.
It’s not THAT easy but these foods add efficiency to oral hygiene.